Skip to main content
  • Oral presentation
  • Open access
  • Published:

Outcomes of brace treatment for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis


To analyze outcomes of brace treatment for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) in a retrospective fashion.

Study design

The subjects of the study were patients with AIS, whose Cobb angle was larger than 25 degrees and Risser sign was smaller than 3 at the start of the treatment, and who were followed for more than one year and at least until Risser sign of 4. Cervico-thoraco-lumbo-sacral orthosis (CTLSO) was used for thoracic curves and thoraco-lumbo-sacral orthosis (TLSO) was used for thoracolumbar and lumbar curves.


The study sample consisted of thirty-nine girls, whose average age was 12.8 years and average Cobb angle was 37 degrees at the start of the treatment. The average curve magnitude increased to 45.4 degrees after a follow-up period of 2.8 years. Curve magnitude of eleven patients (28%) increased more than 10 degrees: in the remaining twenty-eight patients (72%) the change of their curve was ≤10 degrees. Presence of menarche, rib hump magnitude, and initial correction rate by the brace were the factors affecting the results.


Results of the brace treatment were better than the natural history reported by Bunnell [1]. The outcomes of the brace treatment for AIS may be improved if the correction by the brace can be improved.


  1. Bunnell WP: The natural history of IS before skeletal maturity. Spine. 1986, 11: 773-776. 10.1097/00007632-198610000-00003.

    Article  CAS  PubMed  Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information

Authors and Affiliations


Corresponding author

Correspondence to Toru Maruyama.

Rights and permissions

Open Access This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 International License (, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Reprints and permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Maruyama, T., Miura, M., Sasaki, G. et al. Outcomes of brace treatment for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Scoliosis 2 (Suppl 1), S17 (2007).

Download citation

  • Published:

  • DOI: