- Oral presentation
- Open Access
The use of the SpineCor Dynamic Corrective Brace in Greece: a preliminary report
© Tsakiri et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2009
- Published: 15 January 2009
- Public Health
- Observational Study
- Successful Treatment
- Research Society
- Preliminary Report
The purpose of this observational study was to quantify the efficacy of the SpineCor Dynamic Corrective Brace for patients who were still actively being treated in Greece. It also, evaluated the effectiveness of the Brace for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in accordance with the new standardized criteria proposed by the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) .
From 2003–2007, 109 patients were treated. 82 patients met the inclusion criteria proposed by the SpineCorporation . 26 patients met the criteria for inclusion proposed by the SRS . There were no patients with an outcome. Assessment of the brace effectiveness included (1) percentage of patients who had an initial Cobb angle reduction of 5° or greater; (2) percentage of patients who had an initial Cobb angle increase or decrease of less than 5° (3) percentage of patients who had an initial Cobb increase of 5° or greater and (4) the number of cases progressing to require surgery or undergone surgery.
Successful treatment (correction >5°, or stabilization +/- 5°) was achieved in 79 of the 82 patients and 25 of the 26 patients studied from the time of fitting of the Brace to the point which last Cobb angle was measured. This meant 96% correction/stabilization. Two out of 82 patients (2,4%) had curve progression and 1 patient (1,2%) underwent surgery. 1 patient out of 26 (3,8%) had a curve progression and has been recommended surgery.
The SpineCor Brace is an effective for the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.
- Coillard C, Leroux MA, Badeaux J, Rivard CH: SPINECOR: a new therapeutic approach for idiopathic scoliosis. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2002, 88: 215-217.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Coillard C, Leroux MA, Zabjek KF: SpineCor – a non-rigid brace for the treatment of idiopathic scoliosis: post treatment results. Eur Spine J. 2003, 12: 141-148.PubMed CentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Coillard C, Vachon V, Circo AB, Beausejour M, Rivard CH: Effectiveness of the SpineCor Brace Based on the New Standardized Criteria Proposed by the Scoliosis Research Society for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2007, 27: 375-379.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Richards BS, Bernstein RM, D'Armato CR: Standardization of criteria for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis brace studied: SRS Committee on Bracing and Nonoperative Management. Spine. 2005, 30: 2068-2075. 10.1097/01.brs.0000178819.90239.d0.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.