Volume 7 Supplement 1
Polish validation of brace questionnaire
© Kinel et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
Published: 27 January 2012
The aim of the study was to undertake the process of cultural adaptation of the Brace Questionnaire (BrQ) into Polish. The BrQ is an instrument for measuring quality of life of scoliotic adolescents who are being treated conservatively with wearing of a corrective brace . The BrQ consists of 34 Likert-scale items associated with eight domains.
Material and methods
The translation from the original Greek into Polish was performed. The process of cultural adaptation of the questionnaire was compliant with the guidelines of the International Quality of Life Assessment (IQOLA) Project. It involved 30 adolescents, ages ranging between 10.0 and 17.0 years, all with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS) and all wearing the same kind of brace (Chêneau). The statistical analysis calculated the reliability (internal consistency), floor and ceiling effects of the BrQ [2–5].
The age was 14.0 +/- 1.6 years. The adolescents were wearing the brace for more than 3 months. Cobb angle was 33.6 +/- 11.6 degrees. The internal consistency was satisfactory: Cronbach’s alpha coefficient was 0.82, p<0.001. There was no floor or celing effect.
Polish version of BrQ is reliable and can be used in Polish adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis wearing the brace to assess their quality of life.
- Vasiliadis E, Grivas TB, Gkoltsiou K: Development and preliminary validation of Brace Questionnaire (BrQ): a new instrument for measuring quality of life of brace treated scoliotics. Scoliosis. 2006, 1: 7-10.1186/1748-7161-1-7. doi:10.1186/1748-7161-1-7PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Beaton D, Bombardier C, Guillemin F, Ferraz M: Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures. Spine. 2000, 15: 3186-3191.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Asher M, Lai SM, Burton D, Manna B: The reliability and concurrent validity of Scoliosis Research Society- 22 Patient Questionnaire for Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine. 2003, 28: 63-69. 10.1097/00007632-200301010-00015.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Feise RJ, Donaldson S, Crowther ER, Menke JM: Construction and validation of the Scoliosis Quality of Life Index in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine. 2005, 30: 1310-1315. 10.1097/01.brs.0000163885.12834.ca.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Aulisa AG, Guzanti V, Perisano C, Marzetti E: Determination of quality of life in adolescent with idiopathic scoliosis subjected to conservative treatment. Scoliosis. 2010, 5: 21-10.1186/1748-7161-5-21. doi: 10.1186/1748-7161-5-21PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.