Volume 7 Supplement 1
Health related quality of life in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis: a cross-cultural comparison between two methods of treatment
© D’agata et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
Published: 27 January 2012
The present study aims at evaluating the effects produced on HRQOL by two different methods of physiotherapy in adolescent population with Idiopathic Scoliosis (IS): SEAS, used in Milan (Italia) in ISICO center, and Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School, in E. Salvá Institut (Spain).
Materials and methods
Twenty-one subjects took part to the study, ages ranging between 9 and 18 years. Thirteen of them were Italian (5 boys and 8 girls) and the 9 Spanish (2 boys and 7 girls). For all of them it was the first time to be visited. The materials used were: Rosenberg’s self-esteem test [3, 4], Self Concept test , Body Satisfaction Scale  and SRS-22 questionnaire [7, 8]. Tests were given three times: on the first visit, three and six months later.
Through a mixed ANCOVA, we found statistical differences between pre-test and post-test. In relation to the interaction effect, Time X Treatment, the Italian group improved in SRS-Pain while the E.Salvá group presented worse results at the end. However, the treatment had a significative effect on SRS-Self Image (p=0.016) and on Emotional Self Concept, as the E.Salvá group scored higher.
Further researches will aim at increasing the sample size, in order to enrich the results, and at looking for more homogenous groups and centers (Country, setting, size, etc).
- Levitskiy A, Yaroslavska S, Chekryzhev D, Rychlevskiy K, Pliatsek V, Velikiy O, Bebeshko O: Influence of motion activity on psycho emotional status of scoliotic patients treated with brace. Scoliosis. 2010, 5: O65-10.1186/1748-7161-5-S1-O65.PubMed CentralView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Weiss HR, Cherdron J: Effects of Schroth's rehabilitation program on the self concept of scoliosis patients. Rehabilitation. 1994, 33 (1): 31-4.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Martín-Albo J, Núñez J, Navarro JG, Grijalvo F: The Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale: translation and validation in University students. The Spanish Journal of Psychology. 2007, 10 (2): 458-467.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Prezza M, Trombaccia F, Armento L: La scala dell'autostima di Rosenberg: traduzione e validazione italiana. Bollettino di psicologia applicata. 1997, 223: 35-44.Google Scholar
- García F, Musitu G: AF5. Autoconcepto forma 5. 2009, Madrid: Tea edicionesGoogle Scholar
- Gismero E: Habilidades sociales y anorexia nerviosa. 1996, Madrid: Universidad ComillasGoogle Scholar
- Climent JM, Bagó J, Sánchez J: Validity of the Spanish version of the Scoliosis Reseacrh Society -22 (SRS-22) Patient Questionnaire. Spine. 2005, 30: 705-709. 10.1097/01.brs.0000155408.76606.8f.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Monticone M, Baiardi P, Calabrò D, Calabrò F, Forti C: Development of the Italian version of the revised Scoliosis Reseacrh Society-22 Patient Questionnaire, SRS-22r-I: cross-cultural adaptation, factor analysis,reliability, and validity. Spine. 2010, 35 (24): E1412-1417. 10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181e88981.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.